Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Hoarder Mentality

It's funny what kinds of things people hoard.  It's also funny when you consider the reasons people hoard.

I can understand it when someone is out on their own in a remote location and they hoard things.  They pretty much have to stockpile everything they can think of just to exist.

Sometimes people just like accumulating things.  It's the thrill of the hunt.  They want to beg, buy, or steal every variety of every item in their stash just to say they have them all.  It's a variation of the 'collector mentality' I think.

Then there are the people that think that the bottom could drop out of the supply chain at any moment.  "The end of the world is coming soon, so I'd better make sure I have enough to last me in case of emergency."

Then there is Bzzz.  He loves lamenting about how hard it is to get things from the top of the supply chain when he needs them.  Each time he has to fight (he calls it fighting, but we know it's just over-dramatization) for a roll of tape, a new Sharpie, or anything stupid like that, he turns the whole ordeal into a source of story-telling.  One of his favorite items to rant about is the ordeal he has to suffer through when he goes in to get some more band-aids.  Oh, the humiliation!

Even though he still goes in and begs for a 'few band-aids' whenever he needs them (which is often when you have a shop environment), imagine my surprise when I happened to glance into his desk drawer when I walked by it the other day:


The funny thing is, those are not the ones he begs from Bernie.  They are his private stash.  His accumulated hoard from the others around him.

Maybe he just likes variety.

At any rate, when anarchy eventually comes, and the dollar is worthless, the government is in shambles, and food is in short supply, people will use ammo for money...

...and they'll contact Bzzz when they need a Band-Aid.

1 comment:

  1. Well, those came from me when I left. My wife is a good shopper.

    ReplyDelete