Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Weekly Recap: Three Day Version

Our annual 'forced vacation day' week is upon us.

This is the week The Brothers do the thinking for us and make the assumption that we need to take Friday off.  Of course it's without pay, but hey--at least we don't have to fight, argue, request, or beg for it that way, right?  This year, as with most years, there were a bunch of CNC workers scheduled to work on Friday (they're always behind).  Wednesday morning someone apparently made the impression on them that the CNC department needed a break at least as badly as anyone else did, so halfway through Wednesday they changed their mind and declared the doors to be locked for all employees Friday.  I decided to make Friday a vacation day so I get a full paycheck.

As with what seems to be every week, Phil and the regular "Monday morning new guy" came walking by me at 7:40 this week. Me and TJ both thought the same thing at the same time but he vocalized it first.
"It must be a Monday thing." he said, knowing I was thinking it.
It's true--There seems to be a regular adoption process that Phil does every week.  This particular guy has a toolbox and is going to CNC I guess.

Yesterday I was surprised to see B.M.O.C. and Derek working back in the area of the new CNC machines.  They actually unpacked all the stuff and got things underway!  I even saw the lift cage in action up near the ceiling several times.  I was surprised.  Today a bunch of new conduit and stuff showed up right before quitting time--stuff for the installation.  I wonder how long it will take to get all that  stuff hung up.  I get funny vibes from those two.  Three times today they both ducked out the door and talked for a few minutes outside.  It's a conspiracy in the making.

Also yesterday Rich was working back by Elaine's area all day building a few of those giant pallets we have to make when we send those big, flat sheet metal panels to Boeing.  That is what Bzzz has been lobbying for the new Skilsaw for.  Once Dale came out of the office and was talking to me when he noticed the sound of the saw.
"Is that the new saw?  It doesn't sound too good." Dale said, with the famous Dale pinched, concerned look on his face.
It was true--it didn't sound too great.  It was laboring and it sounded like it either didn't have enough power or it was binding during the cutting.  Well, imagine my surprise when I wandered back there this morning and saw a small 8" used saw sitting there among the other tools Richie was using yesterday.  The new 10" saw was nowhere to be found.  I asked Elaine about it and she said that's was Rich was using yesterday.  I asked her about the new saw and she shrugged her shoulders and said he didn't like the design of it or something.  I asked Bzzz later and it was true--Rich didn't want to use the new saw because the motor hung out and blocked his vision.  To add to it, the little 8" saw he was using was a left-handed saw.
Bzzz was plainly concerned.
"I don't dare let Bernie see that," he said, "I think I should go back there and cut a few pieces of wood with it so it would at least have some sawdust on it."
Funny stuff.  Poor Bzzz--it's like he used all that body language that accompanies his new item requisitions for nothing.

Ben was out all day Monday so I was driving.  He was there all day yesterday, but they wouldn't let him drive.  Why?  It seems that the reason he was out all day Monday was because he had a concussion.  I don't know details though.  He was back driving today though, which was good because I had a "full plate" packing up a 3 elaborate, expensive, and large assemblies--each in their own customized corrugated cardboard transport vessel.

Well, I'll stop here and we'll call it good for our short work week.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!


1 comment: