Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Weekly Recap

This has been one of those weeks that only happen rarely at LaCroy.  I think it has something to do with some particular place freezing over or something.  They spent money.  Big money.  Yes, two brand-new Haas CNC machines came into our building this past Wednesday.  I did a little stealthy camera work to catch them coming in so all you viewers out there in bloggy land will be able to relive the event with fond memories.

The guys from Nelson showed up at about 8am with their big forklift just like they planned and one of them came in and announced that they were here.  I headed into the office to alert the interested person, which I thought was Derek.  I was wrong.  I walked up to Derek, who was glued to his computer screen.
"The guys from Nelson are here with the new CNC machines.  Are you handling the event?" I asked.
He didn't even look up.
"Nobody has said anything to me about it." he said, still not even making a vague attempt to look up, move, or even reach for the phone to call Phil.  I shrugged my shoulders and went back out into the shop and told Bzzz.  Eventually the word got around to the right people.  No, person.  Phil.  Apparently, Derek was about as excited about them as he would be to polish the rim of a toilet bowl.  Phil did, of course, grab Derek and start things rolling.

So, as the truck is being unloaded outside, Phil and Derek put some tape down.  In the old days that would have already been done.  Of course, in the old days there were people that really cared about things handling the installation.  'Nuff said.


They had lots of room to maneuver, so bringing the machines in was probably the easiest I've seen of any install since I've been working there.  The brothers were undoubted conferring on the merits of having such stellar employees.  I obviously had to work quickly to steal that picture undetected.

This pretty much wrapped it up.  I took the first picture from the yellow "lift cage" or whatever you call the thing we forklift up to the ceiling for various things.


So, since that time, a few of the tables have been moved back into place, but that's pretty much it.  There has been no activity anywhere around the installation.  No voltage, no leveling, no nothing.  Pretty weird.  A few of us mentioned how different things used to be.  They would have had material in them, slinging chips and coolant by now.

Tuesday morning Bzzz wanders out of the office, stops near my desk (obviously trolling for a conversation) and mutters, "what's a person got to do to get a Skil saw..." He stood there a few seconds longer, but I didn't bite.  He wandered off without doing his usual thing.  Amazingly enough, his persistence finally paid off and Dale went to Home Depot on Wednesday or Thursday and bought a new Skil saw for Bzzz.  It's been sitting on top of Dale's file cabinet ever since... Untouched.

I'm going to have to back off a notch on the intensely-structured Weekly Recap post.  At least the three parts that cover the new hires, the guys that left, and the equipment that broke.  I just don't get enough information to be able to report things very well.  I talk to people, but without faces it's hard to figure out who we're talking about when I hear that some came, went, or is returning.  I'll just run it all into a paragraph or two.

So, Monday morning a new guy came in and went to deburr--A young guy, clean and neat.  I don't think he smokes.  That itself is weird.  He probably won't last just because of that.  I guess we lost a guy or two from CNC, but I don't know who they are.  It shouldn't be too big of a deal because we're getting at least one guy coming in.  Actually, he worked there before but left.  He's doing the "Don Brewer thing" I guess.  I'm sure there will be a constant change in those guys.

I told TJ I should set up a line on the floor between my work area and the shop office and have all the new guys stop there for a picture.  "Place your toes on the line, look over my shoulder.  Thank you.  Next please..."  Just like the roly-poly Polynesian lady taking pictures at the license agency.

The small press near Fort Short blew a seal on Monday. Phil told them to tear it down and put a seal kit in it instead of buying a new ram for it.  No surprise there.  What did surprise me is that the parts showed up Friday at 10 and it was fixed by the end of the day.  Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment