Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Weekly Recap

Ah, the week in review once again.  This week actually went pretty smooth considering Mike was gone and Scott, Dale, and myself were all kinda trying to do a little of this and a little of that to fill in the gaps.  I don't recall any actual crises that took place.  Apparently they had "fill-in" help at Boeing all week because there were a few days when that stuff didn't get picked up until well after lunch.

Funny thing Friday morning:  For the second time I can recall, Mafu was asleep in his car in the parking lot instead of reporting for work at 6 o'clock, so at about 6:15 or so TJ sent B.M.O.C. went out the door to fetch him.

Derek is doing his still best to spend money on stuff without knowing what he's really spending money on.  Today I opened up a little box that showed up from UPS.  It felt empty, but wasn't quite.  When I opened it and unwrapped it, this is what I found:


Apparently he had ordered these two things thinking he was buying replacement brake pads for one of the decoilers.  All they consisted of was a couple of plain old 1/4-inch thick leather, and they weren't even cut straight.  But here's the kicker:  They cost $69.  Yes, you read that right.  70 bucks for two pieces of somebody's belt.  If Bernie was there he would have had a heart attack--either instantly or during the chewing out.  I'm pretty sure they are going back.

Gone:  Thursday was the last day for Matt (aka young Wink Martindale).  I don't know any details, but from what Harry told me, he's going to work for a company that's way close to his house and will be making an additional 9 bucks an hour.  Harry said he'll be able to start his car, get to the top of the nearby hill and coast almost the whole way to work.  I'm sure stories get embellished as they get passed around though.  Still, it's a good rumor.

Also gone is Brian.  He is the new(ish) guy that took over brazing paddles.  Apparently he was a bumbler in practically all he did.  He seemed like a nice guy, but what do I know--I never worked with him.  I did look at some of his paddles one day.  I was not impressed.

New Arrivals:  Nobody new this week.  Earlier in the week I asked TJ, "So, isn't it about time Don Brewer came back?"  He said no, maybe another month or two... It's still too soon.  I'm sure we will never actually hear the last of him.

Broken Equipment:  Nothing new this week.  It did occur to me this morning though:  When it gets really cold this year and we come in to a subzero cooler for a work building on a Monday, who will light the sacred pilot lights?  I don't think anyone will have the fortitude to do it on their own, and I doubt anyone even knows how.  I'm just glad I have my arctic coveralls, my fingerless gloves, and my space heater.


No comments:

Post a Comment