Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Weekly Recap

There was an awful lot of activity at LaCroy this week.  Monday found Marty and a new guy loading up cardboard from the "hide it behind the blue wall" area, then he spent all day Tuesday moving sandbags and junk back there--stacking and consolidating.  He found quite a bit of evidence of rodent activity around the sandbags.  I expect the mousies were quite surprised when they chewed holes upward into the sandbags and found sand raining down on them instead of flour or seeds they might have hoped for.  I think he said he found 3 dead ones scattered here and there as he cleaned.  When I found out he was clearing the area for new machines that are going in, I went back there and snapped a few "before" pictures:


Then a team got together and consolidated the "flood gates" that the company so lovingly assembled:


This is what the area finally looked like afterwards:


Phil has been in an excited mood--wandering around constantly and overseeing the progress.  Late in the day Wednesday two Haas transformer setups came.  Phil is expecting the first machines to show up on Monday.  I hope he has someone lined up to do the install!

You know what I hate about times like this when Phil is expecting new stuff to show up?  He thinks that everything--I mean everything--that comes in is a part of his anticipated shipment of items.  What that means to me is him inspecting the packaging like it contains a cigar humidor (that's another story for another time) or something.  Yesterday he was all upset because I let a truck get away without noting carton damage on the outside of 4 pallets that showed up.  When he found out they were just coils of metal it was like, "Oh, okay, well be sure to always note damage... " yada, yada, yada.

Imagine my surprise when the old guy from Finishing Unlimited came by on Monday!  We don't do much business with Finishing Unlimited, so the visits from the driver are few and far between.  Several years ago I remember noting how much the guy looked like an AIDS poster child.  He was skinny, white as a ghost, wrinkled, withered, and frail.  Add to that his strange eyes.  You know how when a kittycat is ready to attack you all you can see is black in their eyes?  That's the way he looks.  I used to call out, "Hey, look--The Geriatric Express is here!" whenever he'd show up.  Bruce coined the name 'Skeletor' quite a while back and it stuck.  Well, surprisingly Skeletor hasn't changed a bit.  Not only am I surprised he is still standing (and driving), but oddly enough he doesn't look any worse.  He still looks just as dead as he did several years ago when I first met him.  I think he's proof that zombies really do exist.

Thursday, Phil had me doing a repair on a Makino circuit board.  He and big Jim got together and determined that we should try the board repair first instead of shelling out a few thousand dollars for a new one.  He bought a fancy new "solder-sucker" gun that worked really slick.  The size of a drill, it has constant heat and burp of the trigger instantly vacuums the melted solder up into a little chamber.  Pretty slick.  I was doing an commercial bit, calling it the "Hot-Suck 5000" and was having fun using my announcer voice.

B.M.O.C. asked me a Bruderer feeder question Thursday.  I followed him back there, knowing that I would not have a clue as to how to do what he wanted to do.  Imagine my surprise when I was able to recollect how to set the material drag tension on the feeder.  I even remembered that the adjustment bolt turns reverse of the direction you'd think it should.  Apparently there are still some memory cells left up there.  I hope Phil doesn't find out I can still recall a few things from Bruderer days.

Also on Thursday, the guy from Nelson Rigging came in and Phil went back and showed him what was going on.  I guess it's still on schedule for Monday CNC machine delivery.

Gone:  What?  Nobody left this week?  How 'bout that.

New Arrivals:  A new guy came in at 7:30 on Monday morning.  He's an older guy with white hair, but not frail.  He actually reminds me of Doctor Johnny Fever from WKRP.  Went to deburr and has been working there all week.  He seems intelligent so maybe he'll work out.  He smokes, so already he fits in.

Broken Equipment:  Well, I guess the Makino is finally fixed due to my board repair the other day.  Frankly, I didn't even know it was down.  I guess I need to do some walk-arounds and talk to the troops every now and then!




No comments:

Post a Comment